Wednesday, May 27, 2020

 

Mabel Churchward

Some years ago I had a very unusual experience.
I had lived in Glen Innes for 4 years in the 80's. A few years back my wife and I went for a driving holiday in the region I dropped her off at friends and drove to the Town Hall in the off chance they may have a book laying out the cemetery as I heard that my great grandmother might be buried there. I walked in asked the girl at the counter if they had such a book. "Oh you heard about the book? It just came in an hour ago. You are the first to ask. What is the name of your relative?" As she opened the book I said "Mabel Churchward she died between 1905 and 1915 I think" "oh without the exact date we will never find her in here there is maybe 40,000 names in here" I glanced down at the page she had opened at random and there was her name under her fingers. I pointed it out. She jumped back in alarm "Well that was spooky." I wrote down the coordinates and drove up the cemetery. I walked along one coordinate but the other coordinates hadn't been set out yet. I figured I didn't have a hope of finding it but as I walked back I found I had parked right alongside her grave. I photographed the grave.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Free Hit Counter