Sunday, August 09, 2026

 

Your Response To The Nearness of God

Philippians 4:1-7 ESV

Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved. [2] I entreat Euodia and I entreat Syntyche to agree in the Lord. [3] Yes, I ask you also, true companion, help these women, who have labored side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life. [4] Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. [5] Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; [6] do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. [7] And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8] Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. [9] What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me-practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.


The nearness of God is my good.  Psalm 73.



Life is full of anxiety-producing situations. We should be neither surprised nor dismayed by this reality. But we should know how to handle them rather than be ruled by them.


Lorelle and I ent to bed about 10:30 last night.  Very soon after there was unmistakable shotgun shots.  2.  
To me it sounded like they were from our front driveway.  Very close. 
I grabbed a knife. I looked out the front windows carefully but couldn’t see anyone.   Five cars went past in a close convoy.  
But still nothing.  I expected police but there were none.  No strange cars 🚗 n the street.  
This morning Sunday 19 July I texted the neighbours Alex and Robyn whether they had heard anything;
 Yes we did. Not sure where it was coming from but seemed close out the back I think.”
It probably came from the units behind us, as often I have mistaken noise from the back as from the front . 
I sauntered down to have a look but again everyone seemed very quiet, although the white Jag from the back dual occupancy was missing from its normal place.  

It is surprising how quickly one can move from faith in God and have your peace unsettled by an unexpected, sudden,  momentary circumstance.  But even more anxiety producing is the chronic long term problems that can eat us up for years. 



 The Problems.

A. Paul was in prison. 1:13. At least two years. 

B. Society was in a mess. 2:15

C. Epaphroditus had been sick. 2:27

D. Opposition was increasing. 3:2

E. Commitment was shallow. 3:18f

F. Relationships were strained. 4:2-3



Said the robin to the sparrow:
   “I should really like to know
   Why these anxious human beings
   Rush about and worry so.”
   Said the sparrow to the robin:
   “Friend, I think that it must be
   That they have no heavenly Father,
   Such as cares for you and me.”16
   Three times Jesus forbade worry: “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious [worry] about your life” (v. 25)—“Therefore do not be anxious [worry]” (v. 31)—“Therefore do not be anxious [worry] about tomorrow” (v. 34). And Paul cuts to the chase: “Stop worrying about anything!”

Heaven's cure for earth's care" is, according to Philippians 4:7, "the peace of God, which transcends all understanding." "The peace of God" (verse 7) is the remedy that "the God of peace" (verse 9) offers for corroding care, anxiety, fear and worry.

With some of us, our fears and anxieties arise from experiences which have to do with the past, maybe years ago; others are anxious, fretful and worried about the future, about old age, health or finance; and still others are over-burdened with care about the present. Many of our fears are imaginary, and many of the things we worry about never happen! For the Christian, fear, anxiety and worry are useless, unnecessary, unseemly and even sinful

It is useless for a Christian to worry, to be fearful or to be anxious. See what our Lord said about this – Matthew 6:25-27. What do our worries and fears accomplish? Nothing! Nothing accumulates so quickly as worry, which is why it is positively dangerous. It harms us physically, mentally and spiritually. Physically, it can destroy our digestion, send up our blood pressure, cause insomnia, paralyse our body and seriously affect our heart. "Worry is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained."


It is unnecessary for a Christian to worry, to be fearful or to be anxious. Why? Because we have a heavenly Father who is all-powerful and all-loving, who knows what His children need and who is able to supply that need (Matthew 6:28-32). And where is this loving heavenly Father? Verse 5 tells us that He is "near", and though this reference may refer to the Second Advent, it most certainly also refers to the presence of the Lord – Matthew 28:20 and Hebrews 13:5.
It is unseemly for a Christian to worry, to be fearful or to be anxious. It is, of course, a lack of trust. A worrying Christian is a contradiction – look up 1 Peter 5:7. This may be literally translated, "It matters to Him about you". 

How unworthy it is for a Christian to worry!
What then is the cure for anxiety and fear? Many psychological remedies are offered, and some of these are helpful, but none of them goes to the root of the problem.
The accrued force of Paul’s imperatives produces a sublime result: “And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (v. 7). 

The quality of this peace – "…of God." Can you conceive of God being worried, flustered or fearful?
The nature of this peace – "transcends all understanding." It is beyond logical explanation, but not beyond personal experience.
The appropriateness of this peace – "…will guard your hearts and minds." God's peace will mount guard like a sentinel to keep away fear, worry and anxiety from our heart and mind – the two places where they seek to enter (Isaiah 26:3).
The channel of this peace – "…in Christ Jesus." We have peace with God through Him (Romans 5:1 and Colossians 1:20), and the peace of God through Him (John 14:27 and Romans 15:13).
It is in Christ Himself that we find "heaven's cure for earth's care."
Isa 26 reminds us 
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee because He trusteth in Thee . Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord Himself, is the Rock eternal.
It is the peace that Jesus promised to His followers:
Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27)
These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world. (John 16:33)

1. My Hope In Redemption 

A. “Rejoice in the Lord always.” v. 4

1. Recognize who He is. 3:20

2. Relate to what He does. 3:21

3. Rejoice that you’re “in Him.”


2. My Portion in Relationship 

B. Develop a reputation for magnanimity. v. 5a

1. Rather than sticking to the letter of the law…

2. Show everyone some “sweet reasonableness.”

C. Recognize “the Lord is near.” v. 5b


3. My Provision In Resting and Trusting Him 


D. Don’t be anxious about anything. v. 6

1. Legitimate concern. 2:20

2. Unwarranted worry.

3. Pray about everything.

a. Prayer.

b. Petitions.

c. Requests.

4. Pray with thanksgiving: you will be heard and answered.


4. My Peace In Refocussing my mind 

E. Fix your mind on the right things. v. 8

F. Do what you know: you heard and you saw, now do. v. 9


A. The peace of God will guard you. v. 7

1. Peace of God: a divine attribute.

2. Beyond human calculation or invention.

3. Guarding both mind and heart.

B. The peace of God will be with you.

1. To supply you with strength for the task. Romans 16:20

2. To provide sufficiency for the day. Hebrews 13:20

Point to Ponder: Am I prone to panic or living at peace?


Psalm 23:4 The nearness of God is my good "Nevertheless I am continually with thee." — Psalms 73:23 "Nevertheless,"-As if, notwithstanding all the foolishness and ignorance which David had just been confessing to God, not one atom the less was it true and certain that David was saved and accepted, and that the blessing of being constantly in God's presence was undoubtedly his. Fully conscious of his own lost estate, and of the deceitfulness and vileness of his nature, yet, by a glorious outburst of faith, he sings "nevertheless I am continually with thee." Believer, you are forced to enter into Asaph's confession and acknowledgment, endeavour in like spirit to say "nevertheless, since I belong to Christ I am continually with God!" By this is meant continually upon his mind, he is always thinking of me for my good. -- C. H. Spurgeon

how firm a foundation ye saints of the Lord … 
Is laid for your faith in his excellent Word!
What more can he say than to you he has said
Who unto the Savior for refuge have fled?
In ev'ry condition, in sickness, in health,
In poverty's vale, or abounding in wealth,
At home and abroad, on the land, on the sea —
The Lord, the Almighty, your strength e'er shall be.
Fear not, I am with you. Oh, be not dismayed,
For I am your God and will still give you aid;
I'll strengthen you, help you, and cause you to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.
When through the deep waters I call you to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow,
For I will be with you your troubles to bless
And sanctify to you your deepest distress.
Throughout all their lifetime my people shall prove
My sov'reign, eternal, unchangeable love,
And then, when gray hair shall their temples adorn,
Like lambs they shall still on my shoulders be borne.






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Free Hit Counter