Philippians 4:9-20 ESV - 10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned, in whatever situation I am, to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me. 14 Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. 15 And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. 16 Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit. 18 I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.
Paul uses some interesting words in the last section of Philippians 4
Secret, contentment.
The term secret came from the mystery religions and the idea of being brought into a secret society that brings a new spirituality.
Paul uses this term to give us a similar idea: in Christ we discover a secret that the world can’t know.
It reminds me of a chorus from Sunday School days: “I’ve got something that the world can’t give and the world can’t take it
I’ve got something that the world can’t give and the world can’t take it away,
(Salvation!)
I’ve got something that the world can’t give and it keeps me night and day.
I’ve got something worth talking about,
It makes me sing and it makes me shout
I’ve got something that the world can’t give and the world can’t take it away.
I’ve got Christ and He’s given me life a life that the world cannot know
I’ve got Christ and He’s given me life
The word, contentment, also had a heritage of meaning. I remember a fellow at college who decided to empty his life of all emotions and tried to live his life that way (he was a maths teacher). This was the ancient philosophy of Stoicism.
Contentment comes from a Greek word that spoke of subordinating all thoughts and emotions to your self and your will.
Stoicism is an ancient Greek philosophy founded in Athens by Zeno of Citium around 300 BC. It teaches that we cannot control external events, only our response to them. The goal is to live a good life through self-control, reason, and virtue, rather than chasing wealth or hiding from emotions.
- Focus on control: Separate life into what you can change (your thoughts and actions) and what you cannot (the weather, other people, the past).
- Virtue is everything: Base your life on four key ideas:
- Wisdom: Knowing what is good and bad.
- Courage: Doing what is right when it is hard.
- Justice: Treating others with fairness.
- Temperance: Practicing self-control over emotions and actions.
- Marcus Aurelius: A Roman emperor who wrote personal notes to himself on how to stay good under pressure.
- Epictetus: A former slave who taught that freedom comes from knowing what is up to you.
- Seneca: A Roman writer and statesman known for his practical advice on time, anger, and wealth. Basically he was saying if you can control your thoughts you can control your feelings so that you basically feel Nothing in all the tumults of life.
- The apostle Paul is not saying “be self-focussed or trust in self control”. He is saying be Christ focussed and be Christ controlled.
- Philippians 4:13 ESV. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
Instead Paul speaks of contentment, which we discover from this passage involves emotions and relationships and gratitude and joy in spite of desperate circumstances.
What Contentment Really Is
Contentment isn’t found in human circumstances. Many misunderstand contentment, believing it's tied exclusively to circumstances—good jobs, financial security, comfortable living. We think, “Once this happens or that problem is solved, then I’ll finally be happy.” But that’s chasing a mirage.
Contentment isn’t found in material things either.
Contentment is found in
1. God’s Presence
My God. The Lord is near. Psalm 139:3-12 ESV You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. [4] Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether. [5] You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. [6] Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it. [7] Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? [8] If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! [9] If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, [10] even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. [11] If I say, "Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night," [12] even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you
Contentment is found in
2. God’s Power
GodWill Supply all your need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus Christ He can do it. He has all power in heaven and on earth.
Contentment is found in
3. God’s Provision
He will supply ALL your needs. Does that mean financially? As much as you NEED, not what you WANT. Look at how he met Paul’s needs -unsolicited donations from long distance maybe distant friends. Note: UNSOLICITED. You need to trust God. Don’t make yourself a conman or woman. This doesn’t leave a good taste in anyone’s mouth. And worst of all it dishonours the Lord. That’s why Paul goes out of his way to ensure that the Philippians know of his gratitude but also of his independence of human supply.
Contentment is found in
4. God’s Protection
This was a major part of Paul’s needs. Paul knew he was immortal until his work on earth was done. Philippians 1:18-26 ESV What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice, [19] for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance, [20] as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. [21] For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. [22] If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. [23] I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. [24] But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. [25] Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, [26] so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again. Psalm 139:13-18 ESV For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. [14] I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. [15] My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. [16] Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. [17] How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! [18] If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with you. All of this contributes to
Contentment is found in
5. God’s Peace
Philippians 4:4-7 ESV Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. [5] Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; [6] do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. [7] And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. And the Good of peace will be with you. Psalm 73:23-28 ESV Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. [24] You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. [25] Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. [26] My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. [27] For behold, those who are far from you shall perish; you put an end to everyone who is unfaithful to you. [28] But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all your works.
Application:
I Can Do All Things Through Christ
I. Let Christ be your strength.
1) Be content in God’s plan.
Be confident in God’s power. 4:10-13
II. Let Christ be your supply. 4:14-20
1) God will prosper you. 4:14-17
2) God will be pleased with you. 4:18
3) God will provide for you. 4:19-20
III. Let Christ be your satisfaction. 4:21-23
1) We are His saints.
2) We have His grace. 4:21-22
# posted by Groseys messages @ 6:29 PM