Sunday, January 29, 2023

 

Poems on ageing

What good did it do to be grouchy today?
Did your surliness drive any trouble away?
Did you cover more ground than you usually do?
Because of the grouch you carried with you?

If not, what's the use of a grouch or a frown?
If it won't smooth a path, or a grim trouble drown?
If it doesn't assist you, it isn't worthwhile,
Your work may be hard, but just do it—and smile!

MY GET UP AND GO HAS GOT UP AND WENT

How do I know my youth is all spent?
Well, my get up and go has got up and went.
But in spite of it all, I am able to grin,
When I think of all the places my get up has been.

Old age is golden, so I've heard it said,
But sometimes I wonder when I get into bed,
With my ears in the drawer, my teeth in a cup,
My eyes on the table until I wake up.

Ere sleep dims my eyes, I say to myself,
Is there anything else I could lay on the shelf?
And I'm happy to say as I close my door,
My friends are the same, or perhaps more!

Now that I'm old, my slippers are black;
I walk to the stores and puff my way back.
The reason I know that my youth is all spent,
My get up and go has got up and went.

But I really don't mind when 1 think with a grin,
Of all the places my get up has been.
Since I have retired from life's competition,
I busy myself with complete repetition.

I get up each morning, dust off my wits,
Pick up the paper and read the Obits,
If my name is still missing, I know I'm not dead,
So I eat a good breakfast and go back to bed.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Free Hit Counter