Sunday, September 22, 2019

 

The Bible

THE GLORY OF GOD'S BOOK

Josh 1:8

R. G. Lee said, "The Bible is a book beyond all books as a river is above and beyond a rivulet. The Bible is a book beyond all books as the sun is above and beyond a candle in brightness. The Bible is a book beyond all books as the wings of an eagle is above and beyond the wings of a sparrow. It is supernatural in origin, eternal in duration, inexpressible in value, immeasurable in influence, infinite in scope, divine in authorship, human in penmanship, regenerative in power, infallible in authority, universal in interest, personal in application, and inspired in totality. This is the Book that has walked more paths, traveled more highways, knocked at more doors and spoken to more people in their mother tongue than in other book this world has ever known or will know."

The word "Bible" simply means "Book of Books." The Bible is a library containing 66 separate books and letters all under one cover. Those 66 books and letters were written at many different times over a period of about 1,500 years. They were written in many different places. Some of the Bible was written in Israel, some of it in Arabia, some in Persia (Iran), some in Babylon (Iraq), some in Turkey, and some in Italy. The Bible was written by about 40 different writers; all very different kinds of people. Some of the writers were kings and some were carpenters. Some were farmers and some were fishermen. Some were soldiers and some were shepherds. There was even a tentmaker and a tax collector.

John 5:39 "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me."

Ps 119:97 "O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day."

Matt 22:29 "Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God."

2 Tim 3:16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

I. THE BIBLE IS GLORIOUS BECAUSE IT ABIDES FOREVER:

Isa 40:8 "The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever."

Ps 119:89 "For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven."

John 10:35 "If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;"

2 Tim 2:9 "Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound"

Men and women write books that become best sellers but soon another book takes it place. The Bible alone continues to be a best seller year after year.

Matt 24:35 "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away"

Voltaire, the famous French philosopher who died in 1777, more than 235 years ago, was a brilliant atheist. He wrote a number of tracts deriding the Bible. He once made a very bold statement: "One hundred years from today the Bible will be a forgotten book."

No matter what attacks come the Bible's way, it always survives — and it always will. You can depend on that.

II. THE BIBLE IS GLORIOUS BECAUSE IT IS A REVELATION FROM GOD:

2 Peter 1:20-21 "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. (21) For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."

The Bible is not man's word about God; it is God's Word about Himself.

III. THE BIBLE IS GLORIOUS BECAUSE IT REVEALS THE GREATEST CHARACTER THAT EVER CROSSED THE CENTURIES:

No one has ever been able to say anything against Jesus that is the truth.

John 8:46 "Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?"

Heb 4:15 "For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin."

1 Peter 2:22 "Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:"

1 John 3:5 "And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin."

R. G. Lee once said, "If you take Jesus out of the Bible it'd be like taking heat out of fire, melody out of music, blood out of the body and expecting health."

IV. THE BIBLE IS GLORIOUS BECAUSE IT REVEALS THE ONLY WAY OF SALVATION:

The Bible is God's road map to heaven

John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

John 10:9 "I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture."

Acts 4:12 "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

V. THE BIBLE IS GLORIOUS BECAUSE IT HAS THE HOPEFUL MESSAGE FOR LIFE AFTER DEATH:

Is there life after death? Only the Bible has the answer to that question.

2 Sam 12:22-23 "And he [King David] said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether GOD will be gracious to me, that the child may live? (23) But now he is dead , wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me."

Luke 23:43 "And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise."

2 Cor 5:6 "Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:"

Phil 1:23 "For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:"

John 14:3 "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also."

John 11:25 "Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:"

John 14:19 "Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also."

VI. THE BIBLE IS GLORIOUS BECAUSE IT KEEPS IT FRESHNESS:

No matter how many times one reads through the Bible things are seen there were missed before. One person said "the Bible is like and orange. You can squeeze it and squeeze it and there is always a little more juice."

The Bible is the bread of life and it never goes stale.

Jesus said, John 6:48 "I am that bread of life."

VII. THE BIBLE IS GLORIOUS BECAUSE IT CHANGES THE LIVES OF MANY:

2 Cor 5:17 "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."

Ps 33:12 "Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD: and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance."

Sent from my iPhone





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Free Hit Counter