Saturday, May 12, 2007

 

TD Jakes Hillsong Conference

I believe it is good to know what a man preaches before he is idolised.
here are some comments about TD Jakes from a very good website (above)



T. D. Jakes grew up in a Oneness Pentecostal denomination which denies the essential Christian doctrine of the Trinity [The Oneness Pentecostal denomination was declared a heresy by the Assemblies of God when it took organizational form in 1917]. When asked by Christian leaders to clarify if he believes in the Trinity [As defined in the Athanasian Creed] he will not clear up this matter. He refuses to give a clear answer as to what he means by "manifestations" when referring to the Trinity. Here is a portion of the Doctrinal Statement from the Potters House Website:
We believe in one God who is eternal in His existence, Triune in His manifestation, being both Father, Son and Holy Ghost AND that He is Sovereign and Absolute in His authority.

We believe in the Father who is God Himself, Creator of the universe. (Gen 1:1; John 1:1)

We believe that Jesus is the Son of God. (Col 2:9)

He suffered, died, was buried, and rose from the dead for our total salvation (Luke 3:21-22; Philippians 2:5-11).

We believe that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Him (John 3:36; John 3:31-32; John 14:6).

We believe in the Holy Spirit who is God indwelling, empowering and regenerating the believer. This Holy Spirit is called the Comforter. The Spirit of Truth (John 14:17, 14:26) (emphasis mine)


So, given his background and his lack of clarification on this matter when asked by Christian leaders, there is justification to label him as a non-Trinitarian until he explains otherwise.

The doctrine of the Trinity is essential to our faith, without it there is no faith. If a person denies the Trinity they are in fact non-Christian by this very belief. This is not a trivial matter, why will he not be clear and define the terms rather than mislead by his of semantics? If he believes that the Trinity as defined in the Athanasian Creed is not scriptural, why not just say so publicly?


T. D. Jakes denies the essential Christian doctrine of the Trinity. His view is one God playing three different roles or manifestations. He believes in a god that appears in three different "manifestations." Let me quote him, "...One God, but manifest in...three different ways, Father in creation, Son in redemption, Holy Spirit in regeneration." Like one man who is a pastor, father, and husband, this view is called modalism and it is heresy.
T. D. Jakes:
"God--There is one God, Creator of all things, infinitely perfect, and eternally existing in three Manifestations: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit."

Questioner: My first question would be, the Trinity would be defined as one God Who's revealed Himself in three distinct Persons, each co-equal and co-eternal. How important is it for the believing Christian to hold to this belief?


T. D. Jakes: I think it's very, very significant that we first of all study the Trinity apart from salvation, and first of all that we embrace Christ and come to Him and come to know Who He is. Having come to know Who He is, then we begin to deal with the Trinity, which I believe is a very complex issue. The Trinity, the term Trinity, is not a biblical term, to begin with. It's a theological description for something that is so beyond human comprehension that I'm not sure that we can totally hold God to a numerical system. The Lord said, "Behold, O Israel, the Lord thy God is one, and beside Him there is no other." When God got ready to make a man that looked like Him, He didn't make three. He made one man. However, that one man had three parts. He was body, soul and spirit. We have one God, but He is Father in creation, Son in redemption, and Holy Spirit in regeneration. It's very important that we understand that, but I think that the first thing that every believer needs to do is to approach God by faith, and then having approached Him by faith, then they need to sit up under good teaching so that they can begin to understand who the God is that they have believed upon."


("Living by the Word" on KKLA, hosted by John Coleman, Aug. 23, 1998)


"CRI Coordinator of Research Sam Wall spoke over the telephone with Pastor Lawrence Robinson, Director of Ministry Affairs at the Potter's House, inquiring about their view of the Trinity. Robinson affirmed that Jakes denies the biblical position of the Trinity, at one point saying that the Roman Catholic Church introduced the concept of three gods. Robinson gave some modalistic illustrations of the Trinity and said that Jakes has always held this position. Twice after that, Wall e-mailed Pastor Robinson to confirm the content of their discussion. Robinson never responded. Wall noted in his e-mail, "Should I not hear from you by e-mail, I will assume that these statements by you are correct."


(The Man, His Ministry, And His Movement: Concerns About The Teachings Of T. D. Jakes)


Warren Smith: "T.D. Jakes is very popular in the evangelical world, and some people say he denies the doctrine of the Trinity."


Norman Geisler: "That's correct. He does. It's an old, old heresy in the Christian church called modalism. I know T.D. Jakes is very popular, and I know people don't like his ministry being called a cult, but it is. It would have been condemned by any orthodox church down through the centuries."


Warren Smith: "What does it say about the evangelical church that these heretical teachings have been allowed to creep in so readily, and even when they are identified as extra-biblical, or cultic, a lot of evangelicals just wink?"


Norman Geisler: "It says the evangelical church in America is about 3,000 mile wide and an inch deep. Doctrinally, we are very shallow. In North Carolina we are in what is called the Bible Belt, but our problem is that we don't have enough Bible under our belts. We have enough religion to makes us susceptible, but not enough doctrine to make us discerning. You can't recognize error until you can recognize the truth. I'm told that when government experts want to train people to recognize counterfeit currency, they study genuine currency. The same is true with doctrine."


("30 Minutes With Norman Geisler" World Newspaper Publishing)


"T.D. Jake's letter completely fails to answer charges that he denies the doctrine of the Trinity. Everything he says could be affirmed by any good leader of the (Oneness, vehemently anti-Trinitarian) United Pentecostal Church, for although he distinguishes the Son from the Father, he does so only by distinguishing the human Son from the divine Father—the classic United Pentecostal belief, as documented in my book "Jesus Only" Churches (Zondervan, 1997) and defended in many UPC publications, such as David Bernard's The Oneness of God. Until he clearly affirms that Father, Son, and Spirit are eternally distinct Persons, not merely that they are "three" and "one"—never defining his terms—he should be considered anti-Trinitarian and by no means welcomed to preach in Christian circles."


(E. Calvin Beisner, Author of God in Three Persons (Tyndale House, 1984) and "Jesus Only" Churches (Zondervan, 1997). Associate Professor of Interdisciplinary Studies Covenant College, Lookout Mountain, Georgia)


"In his rebuttal Jakes never affirms an ontological Trinity but only an economic one. He speaks of different functions the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit perform, but then he clarifies that he does not believe in three Gods, by which it is fairly clear he means Persons. Even the illustration of H20 taking the forms of ice, water, and steam says nothing about three persons, only three manifestations, and is in fact a common illustration used by modalists to explain their view. The key tip-off that Jakes is a dyed-in-the-wool modalist is his unwavering insistence — both before our article was published and even in response to our article — on using the word manifestations rather than persons in regard to the Trinity. Sabellius consistently avoided the use of the term “persons” (Greek: hypostasis) in favor of the term “manifestations.”...Actually, all of the passages Jakes cites that use the term “manifestation” refer to the Incarnation of Christ (the “manifestation” of the Second Person of the Trinity in human form), except 1 Corinthians 12:7, which speaks of the “manifestation” of the Spirit; that is, the charismatic gifts. None of them are concerned with the doctrine of the Trinity per se, and therefore they do not use the word “manifestations” in the way that Jakes and Oneness teachers use it. In light of all this, it is hard to believe Jakes when he says that the language in his ministry’s doctrinal statement does not derive from modalism. If in fact he believes in the orthodox doctrine of the Trinity, then he can clear this controversy up and satisfy all Trinitarians by simply affirming in his doctrinal statement and in all of his ministry’s teachings that not only does he believe in the Trinity, but he also believes the Trinity comprises three eternally distinct Persons, who together are the one and only Almighty God. If he cannot bring himself to do that and yet still insists that he holds to the Trinity, then evangelicals should understand that it is he, and not his critics, who uses clever semantics to obfuscate the truth."


(Elliot Miller, "T. D. Jakes Responds to The Journal")


"Don't argue with people about foolishness. Don't argue about the Godhead--the Bible says it's a mystery. If it's a mystery that means it's a supernatural thing and everybody who thinks they understand it--really don't. It's impossible to explain how one God can be three persons and three persons be one God. And you're gonna blow your computer and short circuit your p.c. trying to explain something that you don't even understand. You can't even explain how a brown cow eats green grass and produces white milk. So you know you can't explain God. So just shut up arguing about it and say it's a mystery. All we know is that He's Father in creation, Son in redemption, and Holy Ghost in regeneration and it's all good."


(T. D. Jakes, "Bible Answer Man Show," Hank Hanegraaff, Audio-Clip, June 3, 2005)


Note: T. D. Jakes says it's foolishness to argue about the Godhead! So when a Jehovah's Witness tells you that Jesus is not God we should just be silent and accept them? He tells us to shut up about it? This is outrageous! After telling us to "Shut up about it" T. D. Jakes goes on to "Explain" the Godhead using a oneness (Modalism) definition.


"And God said, 'Let us. Let usssssss...'" says Jakes, and then digresses: "...One God, but manifest in...three different ways, Father in creation, Son in redemption, Holy Spirit in regeneration."
(T. D. Jakes, "Spirit Raiser," Time Magazine, September 17, 2001)


"If you need a supernatural thing to occur from God I dare you to give tonight. There's an anointing I believe, there's going to be a supernatural anointing through the word of God. Somebody just give God any kind of praise you got right now! Many people do not understand if you're going to receive something from the Lord you have to be prepared to invest something! So many times people want things out of life without any kind of investment! You can't in the natural, in a stock market you can't get a return on a stock where you have not bought shares. If there's no investment you have no right to wait at the mailbox for a return where you have not made any investment."
(T. D. Jakes, "Bible Answer Man Show," Hank Hanegraaff, Audio-Clip, September 21, 2004)


"My brothers and sisters the power of life and death is in the tongue. You can have whatever you say."
(T. D. Jakes, T. D. Jakes During Intermission of "The Bone Collector Part II," TBN, August 12, 2004)


"You gotta speak to stuff or it won't change. Are you following what I'm saying?"
(T. D. Jakes, "The Bone Collector Part II," TBN, August 12, 2004)

"When you stop talking back you stop fighting back. Speak to it! You lose your tongue you've lost your fighting power. Speak to it!"
(T. D. Jakes, "The Bone Collector Part II," TBN, August 12, 2004)


"It's what you say to yourself that gets you healed. If you say that you won't be healed you won't be healed. If you say that you are broke you will stay broke. Oh! But I came to serve notice on the Devil. The Bible says, 'The power of life and death is in the tongue. Slap somebody and say, 'You better speak to yourself.'"
(T. D. Jakes, "Seize the Moment," Woman Thou Art Loosed, 2000 Atlanta)


"Did you know that the Bible says, 'You shall have whatever you say.' Now, don't you say that if you don't want no increase. If all you want is what you had don't say that anymore. But, if you want something beyond what you have ever seen, shout increase! The power of life and death is in your tongue. When you open your mouth you release power all over the room! Shout increase!"
(T. D. Jakes, "Bible Answer Man Show," Hank Hanegraaff, Audio-Clip, September 14, 2004)


"I want the privilege of praying over your seed. I want to pray over your seed and it would be ridiculous for me to pray that God to give it back to you. Because if all He was going to do was give it back to you, you ought to keep it and then you would just have it. That's ridiculous! You got a $100 or a $1,000 and you're gonna give a $1,000 and I tell you God is going to give $1,000 back. Well, you just broke even! You could have kept that $1,000 and not gone through the trouble! Come on church folk! But God is going to give you some more on top of that. And as you sow it [a person shouts, 'Increase!'] I dare you to say it again, [The audience shouts, 'Increase!']. Oh My God! Woo, we're about to get ours in here. I don't know what you're getting out there. Well, we're about, somebody shout, 'Increase!'"
(T. D. Jakes, "Bible Answer Man Show," Hank Hanegraaff, Audio-Clip, July 30, 2004)


"I want to challenge you to sow and come into agreement with me. I believe you don't have to go for it, you can sow for it! And God will bring it to pass in your life. I want you to write me, put in your prayer request and sow a special seed. Believe God for supernatural resurrection harvest in your life!"
(T. D. Jakes, "Heirs of The Promise I," After the sermon T. D. Jakes said this while in the studio, March 21, 2005)


"I am excited! I have been claiming Genesis 26:12. It is powerful! It is life changing! Talks about Isaac sowing a seed and receiving a 100 fold return in that same year. I believe that as you sow God is going to give you a supernatural harvest in your life! I believe it will be at least a 100 fold! Some of you are going to break into that next dimension of 1,000 times more that I've been teaching around the country. I want you to partner with me so that you can get into this flow...Now write me and let me agree with you in prayer over your seed. As we harvest in this same year 100 fold, a 1,000 times more than expected!"
(T. D. Jakes, "Confronting Your Promises I," After the sermon T. D. Jakes said this while in the studio, March 20, 2005)


"When you sow seeds into this kind of anointing it releases the power of God that you can harvest. And I want you to get this scripture and read it and believe God with me Genesis 26:12. As we sow, I believe that we're going to experience a resurrection...Genesis 26:12, it says, 'Then Isaac sowed in that land and received in that same year a 100 fold and the Lord blessed him.' This year is your year to receive. You need to sow it and receive it in this year. This is your year of destiny."
(T. D. Jakes, "Heirs of The Promise II," After the sermon T. D. Jakes said this while in the studio, March 22, 2005)


"Jakes told those gathered that they have to go and claim the inheritance that God has promised them and know that it's theirs. And then he addressed critics who fault him for profiting from "selling religion." 'You can't get upset with me, because I choose to claim what God has promised me,' he said. 'Don't get upset with me! Don't hate the player; hate the game,' a revved up Jakes yelled over cheers."
(T. D. Jakes, "T.D. Jakes enthralls with energetic oratory," Denver Post.com")

"Don't deny me my joy you player hater you...How dare you sit there and roll your eyes and pass notes when you see me get my breakthrough! you wasn't there when I was in hell's kitchen coming out with some smoke in my coat."
(T. D. Jakes, "Spellbreaker," Tape from his ministry)

"I was staying in a little raggity house down in Dunbar West Virginia and the lights were half way on and half way off most of the time. And the roof was leaking and everything and one night I got up and started walking around in my house and I spoke to the house. And I said, 'House, I don't believe you!' I said, 'You look like I'm down and you look like I'm broke and you look like I'll never be anything. And you look like I'll never get up and you look like I'm bound to the ghetto. But, I just want you to know house, I don't believe you! You're lying to me! You're not who I am and you're not where I'm going and I don't believe You!' I believe that the word that is in me is stronger than the circumstances that are against me. Ah, you all aren't hearing what I'm talking about. You got to start talking to situations or they will take over your life."
(T. D. Jakes, "The Bone Collector Part II," TBN, August 12, 2004)


"Oh! I wish you would sit there and look funny! I wish you would act like you always choose the right door! I wish you would get quiet. I dare you to get quiet on me! I'll start prophesying and tell all your business! You got 12 doors in front of you now! You better say something before I go off! I will go off! I will go off!...I wish you would jump on me! I'll fight everything in here!"
(T. D. Jakes, "Don't Get lost In The House," From the series "Home Remedies" TV1 Direct T.V. Channel 241. May 1, 2005)


"My God! I'm preaching, I think I'll get my own tape this morning."
(T. D. Jakes, "The Invisible King," TBN June 27, 2004)


"Ya'll don't hear what I'm preaching. I'm preaching so good I'm about to 'Amen' myself! Oh!...Oh God! I'm preaching good! Hallelujah!"
(T. D. Jakes, "Give it up, Have it All II," TBN, April 15, 2005)

"Oh! That's good! I may have to get this tape myself!"
(T. D. Jakes, "Mega Fest 2005," The Church Channel, August 18, 2005)


"This tape is so good I'm going to buy this one myself!"
(T. D. Jakes, "Reality Check," From the series "Fight For The Family." TBN August 19, 2005)


"Oh dear! I'm going to buy this tape myself. Give me two tapes! Hold two tapes in the back."
(T. D. Jakes, "Dealing With The Unexpected," TBN, November 28, 2004)


Note: Pride is one sign of many that a false teacher possesses (1 Timothy 6:4; Jude 8-19; 2 Peter 2:10-18).


"You're entitled to have wellness in your body. Stop begging for what you're entitled to."
(T. D. Jakes, "God Never Meant For You To Lose," TBN, July 29, 2004)


"We believe that it is God’s will to heal and deliver His people today as He did in the days of the first Apostles. It is by the stripes of Jesus that we are healed, delivered and made whole. We have authority over sickness, disease, demons, curses, and every circumstance in life."
(T. D. Jakes Doctrinal Statement, website.)

Note: He wears glasses yet believes that we shouldn't be sick. Why are his eyes sick?

“The myth of the poor Jesus needs to be destroyed, because it’s holding people back.”
(Kaylois Henry, “Bishop Jakes Is Ready. Are You?,” The Dallas Observer magazine, June 20-26, 1996, pg. 31. PFO Quarterly Journal Article)

“Jakes, who drives a Mercedes, has moved with his wife and their five children to a luxurious seven-bedroom home with swimming pool in the White Rock Lake area of Dallas. He said the home cost more than $1 million. ‘I do think we need some Christians who are in first class as well as coach,’ Jakes said.”
(The Fort Worth Star Telegram reports. PFO Quarterly Journal Article)

"Jakes lives with wife Serita and their five children in a Dallas mansion, complete with an indoor swimming pool and bowling alley...And while some accuse Jakes of being driven by the dollar and not the divine - his transportation stable consists of a Mercedes-Benz, a Bentley, a BMW, a Lexus and a jet...Indeed, during MegaFest's kickoff, Jakes mentioned his sponsors more than he mentioned God. During the worship service, dozens of Potter's House ushers sprinted throughout the Georgia Dome, collecting purple duffel bags full of money and checks made out to T.D. Jakes Enterprises...The pastor says his income comes from his media enterprises, not from church tithes. And he dismisses such questions as having racist overtones."
("Building an empire to empower," T.D. Jakes may lead a Dallas mega-church, but that's not all he does. By Annette John-Hall, Inquirer Staff Writer, Philadelphia Inquirer posted August 22, 2005)


"The Jakeses and their five children live in a 9,689-square-foot mansion on White Rock Lake, appraised at more than $3.3 million. He loves to shop and wears exquisitely tailored suits and expensive shoes. He owns a jet. "Anybody who has sold 8 million books shouldn't have to justify why they live in a nice house," Bishop Jakes said."
(T. D. Jakes, Fort Wayne.Com, "Preacher extends his reach with film, but some fault posh lifestyle")


Note: That may be true for an unbeliever, but what about for a man of the cloth living in a multi-million dollar house? Dr. J. Vernon McGee has well said, "Whenever you find a minister who is rich, watch out. Folk are not supposed to get rich in the ministry," Commentary on 2 Corinthians 6:8-10, page 117.


I drive a: "Lexus and Bentley"
(T. D. Jakes, Fort Wayne.Com, "Preacher extends his reach with film, but some fault posh lifestyle")


Note: On the Bentley Motors website here is a sample of prices for used Bentleys (Model year then price): 1) 2003--$185,000 2) 2005--$175,000 3) 2000--$159,000 4) 2002-- $279,000 5) 2004--$239,000.


“I think that Jesus is the product,” says author and televangelist T.D. Jakes, who is currently bishop at The Potters House, a primarily African-American Pentecostal church in Dallas. “When the product is excellent, it doesn't require a big sales pitch.”
(MSNBC News, "Do God and money mix?" March 31, 2005)


Note: Jesus is a product? Jesus is Lord of lords and Kings of kings--the creator of all things. Jesus is not a 'product' nor should He be compared to one.


“Scripture teaches that receiving Christ as your personal Savior does not necessarily make you a son of God, but if you choose to do so, the power (authority) and right to do so is present. ... Just being saved does not make you a son of God, ...only those who are willing to be led by the Spirit actually realize and manifest the sonship of God.”
(T.D. Jakes, "The Harvest," pg. 46-47. PFO Quarterly Journal Article)


"The one and only prophetess Juanita Bynum will be with us tonight...We're blessed because of you. We're blessed because of your ministry. We're blessed because God has raised up that voice...We thank God for this woman of God...Give God praise for prophetess Juanita Bynum...She has Revelation Knowledge from the Lord."
(T. D. Jakes, "TBN," July 6, 2004. Describing false prophet Juanita Bynum to the world)





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Free Hit Counter