Wednesday, October 25, 2006

 

2 Samuel 15-19 Coping With Antagonism

Well there's a little boy waiting at the counter of the corner shop He's been waiting down there, waiting half the day, They never ever see him from the top He gets pushed around, knocked to the ground, He gets to his feet and he says... What about me? It isn't fair I don't have enough, now I want my share Can't you see, I wanna live But you just take more than you give Take a step back and see the little people They might be young, but they're the ones that make the big people big So listen as they whisper: "What about me?"
David handles injustice by recognizing that God sometimes allows people of incredible disloyalty and ill will to antagonize us (16:5-14). 15:13 And there came a messenger to David, saying, The hearts of the men of Israel are after Absalom. that Shimei is from the same clan as Saul's family. Chances are he lost his perks and privileges when Saul died and a new dynasty took over. Much like the Sunni insurgents in Iraq who had become accustomed to absolute power when Sadam Hussein was in control, he just couldn't come to grips with David's reign. In addition, during the civil war after Saul's death, many members of Saul's family were killed, so Shimei probably lost a lot of relatives and blamed David for it.

David handles injustice by recognizing that God brings people of incredible loyalty and grace across our path to help us through times of injustice or betrayal (15:13-22).

Ittai Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me. (Ruth 1:16, 17)

Barzillai, 19:31-37 Barzillai was a very aged man, even fourscore years old: and he had provided the king of sustenance while he lay at Mahanaim; for he was a very great man. 33 And the king said unto Barzillai, Come thou over with me, and I will feed thee with me in Jerusalem. 34 And Barzillai said unto the king, How long have I to live, that I should go up with the king unto Jerusalem? 35 I am this day fourscore years old: and can I discern between good and evil? can thy servant taste what I eat or what I drink? can I hear any more the voice of singing men and singing women? wherefore then should thy servant be yet a burden unto my lord the king? 36 Thy servant will go a little way over Jordan with the king: and why should the king recompense it me with such a reward?

David handles injustice by refusing to risk harm to the Lord's name in order to protect his own interests. (15:25). As David was fleeing from Jerusalem we are told that “The whole countryside wept aloud as all the people passed by.” 2 Samuel 15:24-30: Zadok

David refuses to get angry with God for discipline he deserves. (15:25; 16:10,11).

David sends the Ark back to Jerusalem: "If I find favor in the Lord's eyes, he will bring me back and let me see it (i.e. the Ark) and his dwelling place again. But if he says, 'I am not pleased with you,' then I am ready; let him do to me whatever seems good to him."

David refuses to accept counsel that appeals to ungodly instincts. (16:9,10). After Shimei heaps his curses on David, we read in 16:9, “Then Abishai son of Zeruiah said to the king, “Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? Let me go over and cut off his head.” I like the way Chuck Swindoll tells this story in an article he wrote for his church newsletter back in 1987: "One of David's colleagues, a fella named Abishai, asked permission to put him out of his misery. He was serious. "Lemme at him. I'll slit his neck so fast he won't know it 'til he sneezes!" That's right out of the original Hebrew, I guess.

We all have friends like Abishai, and I use that term "friends" loosely. They are individuals who inevitably take our side and counsel responses that they think we want to hear. But they are not real friends because their counsel will only lead us into a deeper hole. Those of us who have a tendency to react to losers like Shimei with anger and revenge need to be especially careful to pick counselors unlike Abishai, counselors who have gentle spirits and who will temper our tendency to retaliate rather than encourage such rash behavior. Instead of agreeing to the revenge Abishai demands, David says, "Let him curse, for the Lord has told him to. It may be that the Lord will see my distress and repay me with good for the cursing I am receiving today." (19:14‑23). Again Abishai later after David returns home says let’s get Shimei!” Then Abishai son of Zeruiah said, "Shouldn't Shimei be put to death for this? He cursed the LORD's anointed." David replied, "What do you and I have in common, you sons of Zeruiah? This day you have become my adversaries! Should anyone be put to death in Israel today? Do I not know that today I am king over Israel?" So the king said to Shimei, "You shall not die." And the king promised him on oath

David handles injustice by focusing on the character of God

. . . the justice of God. (15:25,26).

. . . the sovereignty of God (Psalm 37:1‑13)

. . . the goodness of God (16:12). In the story of Shimei David says, "It may be that the Lord will see my distress and repay me with good for the cursing I am receiving today."

1. With anger, retaliation, and violence 2. Or with pity, depression, and withdrawal 3. Or we can give it to the One who judges justly, always! In his first epistle Peter urges us to bear up under suffering even if we have done nothing to deserve it, using the example of Christ. "When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly." 1peter 4:19 19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Free Hit Counter